As I was thinking what to post right before New Year’s, I remembered that I had pictures of this salad but never posted it. This is a perfect dish to add some color and variety to the holiday menu. Pretty straight forward in execution and big on flavor. I usually make it in the summer when all the vegetables are at the peak of their freshness and flavor, but it’s not like any of the ingredients are not available this time of year so there’s not a reason why you should not make it now.
Beautiful salad that just bursts with flavor and adds the much needed boost of vitamins during winter.
- 10 Button Mushrooms sliced into 1/4 thick
- 3 bell peppers assorted colors, cut in 1/3 inch strips
- 2 large carrots julienned
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 1/2 C. kidney beans cooked/canned, drained
- 1 1/2 C. straw mushrooms cooked/canned, drained
- 15-20 olives pitted
- 1/2 - 1 C. scallions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic or 2 tsp garlic powder
- olive oil for the skillet
- 2-3 Tbsp vinegar white/balsamic
- Black Pepper freshly ground
- 1-2 Tbsp sesame seeds optional
Heat skillet with 4-5 tablespoons oil. Once hot, add onion to the pan and allow it to golden up, tossing it frequently. About a minute before the onion is golden in color, add pressed garlic and stir for another 30-45 seconds. Remove from heat, tilt the pan, allowing the oil to drip down, while moving the vegetables up. Remove onion to a large mixing bowl.
- Quickly sauté carrots in the reserved oil, in a skillet over high heat, about 1 minute. Remove carrots to a large mixing bowl, leaving oil in the pan.
- Throw the bell peppers (add oil of needed) and also sauté over high heat until slightly golden around edges, then another, 5-8 minutes with lid on, until peppers are soft, but not mushy. Tilt the pan, allow the oil to drip down, remove pepper with a slotted spoon and add to the carrots.
- Next heat the skillet almost to smoke point, throw the sliced button mushrooms and sauté over high heat, tossing frequently, until golden, about 1-2 minutes. Tilt the pan again, move vegetables up with a spoon, then remove mushrooms to other sautéed vegetables.
- Once vegetables are cool, add beans, straw mushrooms, chopped or whole olives, chopped scallions, and stir everything.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Add 1-2 tablespoons vinegar, stir, taste, add more vinegar if needed.
- Allow flavors to mend for 20-30 minutes before serving.
- Once ready to serve toss everything one more time and sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).