Apple and Pear Tart
Apple and Pear Tart is made of a tender shortbread crust, then filled with Vanilla infused pear compote and topped with a beautifully arranged apples on top. This tart is sure to get everyone’s attention around the table!
Fall is the perfect time to use apples and pears to create this beautiful tart. The Tart Crust is made of tender butter crust and then filled with a filling of sautéed with vanilla bean apples and pears.
The tart can be served cold as is, or with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream. We ate it as is and found it better cold, but that is just our own preference.
Apple & Pear Tart
Ingredients for Apple & Pear Tart
Ingredients for Apple & Pear Compote
- 3 medium sized apples
- 2 medium sized pears
- Vanilla bean
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup water
To make the Crust:
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, powdered sugar, salt) in a large bowl.
- Slice the cold butter into to the flour. Keep cutting until the chunks are about the size of a pea.
- Add the egg and mix the ingredients together with a spoon.
- Use your hands to kneed the dough until it barely starts to come together. Push the dough into a ball (it will be very crumbly, but that’s ok). Cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to make a disk.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour. (Make the Compote during this time).
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator divide it in half. Shape 1 half into a ball and roll it out between 2 layers of parchment paper or saran wrap, to about 3-4 mm thick. Transfer into the 8 or 9 inch tart mold and pat it with your fingertips to fit it tightly inside the mold. Prick the dough with a fork.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or freeze for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and bake the tart for about 13 minutes.
- Let cool on wire rack.
How to make Apple & Pear Compote
- Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Place the seeds and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Peel and core apples and pears. Dice them into small cubes. Add to the vanilla and sugar mixture along with water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer the fruits for about 45 minutes, until soft. Keep an eye on the apples, to make sure that they have enough liquid to cook and that the bottom does not scorch.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Peel and core 2 medium sized apples. Slice them thinly.
- Fill the tart shell with the prepared fruit compote.
Arrange the apple slices on top in spiral, starting from the outside and working towards the center. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar on top.
Bake for additional 12 minutes, at 350F. Remove and let the tart cool.