Baked Acorn Squash Recipe
Baked Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar and Butter is one of our favorite fall treats. This easy baked squash can be eaten for breakfast or for dinner as a dessert. The butter makes the roasted squash tender, while the brown sugar adds caramelization and a pleasant nuttiness.
How to serve the Baked Acorn Squash
My kids like to sprinkle their baked squash with some chocolate chips (while the squash is still warm) and nuts (walnuts and pecans are best), while I like it simple just with whatever it was baked with. If you’re a fan of cinnamon you can add a sprinkling with the brown sugar before baking, or right before eating.
Cooking Acorn Squash in the Microwave
When you’re pressed for time but still want some baked acorn squash goodness, don’t fret! Microwave the squash side down on a plate covered for about 12 minutes, then brush with butter, sprinkle with sugar and finish cooking it by microwaving for another several minutes. And there you have it – Baked Acorn Squash, just faster!
It would not get caramelized, but hey, you win some, you lose some 😉 Enjoy!
Baked Acorn Squash
How to Cut Acorn Squash
- To help stabilize the squash as you cut it, you can place a ring made out of a kitchen towel under the bottom of the squash, or just place it on a cutting board.
- Use a sharp knife, otherwise, with a dull knife, the squash might slip as you struggle to cut through it and cause you to cut yourself with a knife.
- Rock the knife back and forth as you go through the squash.
- Once cut in half remove the seeds and discard.
- Use a sharp paring knife to score the squash in a criss-cross pattern.
How to Bake the Squash
- Brush the inside of the squash with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. If the squash is unstable make a nest or a ring out of foil and place it on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Set the squash halves inside the rings. Place the baking sheet with squash in the preheated to 400 F oven and bake for 1 hour or until the squash is tender and pierces easy.
Other BAKED SQUASH recipes
- Acorn Squash with Walnuts and Cranberry
- White Chocolate Orange and Cranberry Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Acorn squash with Apples and Oat Crumble
Baked Acorn Squash
Baked Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar and Butter is a simple and easy way to cook squash. Serve it with chopped walnuts and more brown sugar.
- 1 acorn squash
- 3 tbsp melted butter, unsalted
- 4 tbsp brown sugar, packed
How to cut acorn squash
Make a ring out of a kitchen towel and place the acorn squash inside. Now with a sharp knife cut the squash in half, rocking the knife back and forth to help it go through easier. Remove and discard the seeds.
How to Bake Acorn Squash
Score the inside of the squash in a criss-cross pattern about every 1 inch. Brush it with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place the acorn squash halves on a rimmed baking sheet. If the squash is not very stable, you can help stabilize them by making a "nest" out of aluminum foil then placing the acorn squash halves inside.
Bake the squash in a preheated to 350F oven for about 1 hour or until the squash is soft and easily pierced with a fork. Remove to individual plates and serve.
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!