Croissant-like Breakfast Chocolate Sticks
New Seasons (chain supermarket) sells these incredible Pain Au Chocolates that I adore – flaky, crispy, buttery, a bit chewy with incredible chocolate in the middle. On the rare occasions when I do get one, I bring it home, put it in my toaster oven and sit down to enjoy it with a good cup of coffee. While there’s no way I am going to make homemade version of croissant dough, I found puff pastry dough (store bought) to be a great substitute. So the next time I crave the flaky bun with chocolate, instead of getting in the car and driving to New Seasons, I will reach into the freezer, pull a sheet of puff pastry and make my own ‘pain au chocolate’ – stick edition. Seriously, with the amount of labor involved, it’s ridiculous how good these are.
They’re great to pre-make and freeze, then when you need to put a fancy breakfast together, you just pop them in the oven and enjoy not only the aroma around the house, but freshly baked croissant-like chocolate sticks in 20 minutes.
You can make them as short or as long as you want, just use good quality chocolate, so as not to compromise on the flavor.
Flaky & Crispy Breakfast Chocolate Sticks
A simple puff pastry recipe with a chocolate chip filling.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Wisk the egg & water together. Set aside.
- Cut thawed puff pastry into 12 rectangles.
- Put a couple of tablespoons of chocolate chips per rectangle and line them in the middle.
- Pinch two long ends together.
- Place the logs on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Slash each stick 3 times diagonally with a sharp knife, not going all the way through the dough.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the oven until puffed up and golden in color, about 20 minutes. If the tops brown before the dough is cooked through, top with a sheet of foil and continue baking.
- Allow to slightly cool. Serve right away. If not serving right away, put in the toaster oven to crisp up, right before serving.
Pre-shape the chocolate sticks and put them in the freezer until ready to bake. Will keep, well wrapped in the freezer up to a month.
Once ready to bake, place in a pre-heated oven (400F) and bake until golden in color and puffed up. Do not thaw before hand.
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!