Almond Cream Filling (Frangipane)
Quick and easy Almond Cream filling recipe sometimes known as Frangipane is made with almond flour, butter, sugar, eggs, and flour that are whipped together to create a fluffy mixture. It is used to fill pastries, tarts, croissants, and even toast.
Almond Cream is also known as Creme D’amande (pronounced: creme d’mand) in French. This versatile almond-flavored filling can be utilized in so many recipes and eaten so many ways, that it’s pretty important to keep it in your recipe book of baking basics.
In its raw form, it looks like a fluffy almond mixture but baked in a tart it rises and becomes fluffy almondy flavored filling. If you’ve eaten a Bear Claw pastry, you’ve probably tasted this almond filling. It’s delicious, so simple to make, and I just know you’ll love it!
What is Almond Cream Filling made with?
Almond Cream is made with almond flour (almonds ground into fine flour) or almond meal (coarser almond flour), eggs and sugar in equal amounts by weight, and sometimes flour.
Difference between Creme d’Amande and Frangipane
Both the creme d’amande and frangipane are almond-flavored fillings for desserts and use almonds as the main ingredient.
Frangipane starts with creme d’Amandes as the base, then has cream pâtissière (think – custard) mixed in.
Both Creme d’Amandes and frangipane need to be baked since they use raw eggs and are used as filling for many desserts. Creme d’Amande and frangipane is often found used interchangeably.
In France and many French-style bakeries around the world, you will see almond cream and frangipane as an addition to a large variety of desserts, pastries, and cakes.
The almond cream filling can be made with blanched almond flour (almonds without the brown skin) or unblanched. This one is made with unblanched almonds.
Interesting fact: The almond cream has lots of nuts, so it is loaded with vitamins and nutrients. With all of its vitamin E, calcium, protein (did you know that of all the tree nuts, almonds are highest in protein), and fiber, you just might feel better about that stuffed croissant that you ate for breakfast 😉
Almond Cream – Frangipane Ingredients
Find the recipe card with the full recipe & instructions at the bottom of the page
- unsalted butter, room temperature
- granulated sugar
- eggs, room temperature,
- almond flour (or finely ground almonds if you don’t have flour)
- all-purpose flour
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
How to make Almond Cream Filling:
- Add all ingredients to a bowl of a mixer.
- Whip on medium and then high speed until fluffy and thoroughly combined, scraping down the bowl often.
- To fill small pastries or tarts, transdfer cream to a ziplock bag, twist it closed, snip the corner and squeeze the filling into the tart to fill.
Where to use Frangipane recipe?
- As tart filling: like this Pineapple & Frangipane Tart, or this Pear & Almond Cream Tart, or a Bakewell tart (shortbread tart dough layered with jam, then the almond crem and baked).
- As croissant filling (like in this Almond Cream Croissant recipe), then baking them for a decadent breakfast.
- As French toast stuffing – Put this frangipane filling between two slices of bread, before dipping it into some beaten egg and cooking it in a skillet with butter. Sprinkle the toast with powdered sugar or drown it syrup and breakfast fit for a king is served. Best breakfast ever!
This Almond Cream filling can become Hazelnut Cream filling or any other nut-flavored filling by swapping out the almonds for any other nut flour you would like. To use different nuts instead of almonds, for different flavored fillings just replace the full amount of almond flour with whatever type of nut flour you want to use.
Also, to make the frangipane filling into a chocolate almond filling fold in 1 tbsp of sifted cocoa powder together with the flour.
How to fill a tart with almond cream –
Blind bake the tart. Allow it to cool. Fill with this filling and bake for 30 minutes to 1 hour or until the filling has puffed all the way in the center. To make a berry tart, fill with almond cream, then press the berries in before baking.
How to make French Toast with Almond Cream
Sandwich a heaping tablespoon of filling between 2 slices of bread. Soak the sandwich in an egg & sugar mixture. Cook on both sides over medium heat in a buttered skillet, until golden crust forms.
Can I make my own almond flour?
Yes! just to make your own almond flour add almonds to a high-powered blender or food processor and pulse until fine flour forms. Scrape down the sides and mix every so often to ensure that no large chunks of almonds are left in the mixture. Do not over-process or the mixture will turn into almond butter.
Can almond cream be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the filling up to 3 days before you would like to use it for a baked filling. Just keep the filling in a closed container, refrigerated.
You can also freeze the almond cream in a closed container for up to a month. To thaw, leave in the fridge until no longer frozen and creamy.
The Easiest Almond Cream Filling (Creme d’Amandes)
Quick & Easy French Almond Cream – just add ingredients to the bowl & whisk. Great for filling pastries, tarts, croissants & toast, and cakes.
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup almond flour (can be replaced with hazelnut, pistachio or walnut flour for a variation of flavor)
- 2 large eggs room temperature,
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract optional, but strongly recommended
Replace almond extract with any 1 of the optional add-in below
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp coffee extract
- 1 tbsp rum
Quick method for making Almond Cream
Add all ingredients to the bowl of a mixer and beat or whip on medium speed to bring everything together and then high speed until fluffy and thoroughly combined (~ 5 minutes).
Traditional method for making Creme d'Amandes
Add 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup sugar to a bowl of a mixer and whip on high for about 4 minutes or until the butter is lighter in color and very fluffy.
Add ¾ cup of almond flour and beat for another 20-30 seconds to incorporate.
Now add 2 eggs, one at a time, beating or whipping well after each addition.
Add 1 tsp of vanilla extract and 1 TBSP of almond extract (or any other one optional add-ins) and mix to incorporate.
The almond cream filling can be refrigerated in a closed container for up to 3 days, or frozen in a closed container for up to a month.
- To fill small pastries or tarts: transfer cream to a ziplock bag, twist to seal, snip off the tip and fill.
- To use as a tart filling: blind bake the tart. Allow it to cool. Fill with this filling and bake for 30 minutes to 1 hour until the filling has puffed all the way in the center. To make a berry tart, press the berries into the unbaked filling and then bake.
- To use as french toast stuffing: sandwich a heaping tablespoon of filling between 2 slices of stale bread. Soak the sandwich in an egg & sugar mixture. Cook on both sides over medium heat in a well buttered skillet, until golden crust forms.
Tips: *Use different nuts instead of almonds, for different flavored fillings. Just replace the full amount of almond flour with whatever type of nut flour you want to use. **If you do not have almond flour, process the nuts with sugar in a blender until fine. Do not over-process or you will get almond butter.