Farmer’s Cheese Crepes with Blueberry Sauce
Farmer’s Cheese Crepes with Blueberry Sauce are a game changer. They’re not your average crepe, as you know it. These crepes are filled with a velvety smooth, lightly sweetened filling of farmer’s cheese and cream cheese and it will remind you of cheesecake. The Blueberry Sauce is a dream, too! You can swap any berry in the recipe and make it with whatever you have on hand.
Nalisniki or ‘Russian filled crepes” are one of those things that are present any time there is a large gathering of people, such as weddings, parties, babyshowers, birthdays, or at least every time we have a get-together ‘pot luck’ style, someone always brings crepes.
Now with the holidays coming up, I wanted to share one more recipe of the crepes (Nalisniki) that I use when using the special crepe maker, like this one, where you dip the rounded top pan into the batter and cook it only on one side. When we just came to the US, we were mezmerized by this thing, haha!
The reason why one might want to use this special crepe making pan, is that by dipping the skillet into the batter you only pick up a thin layer of it, which allows you to make super thin crepes. Paired with the Farmer’s Cheese filling, the finished product is very soft, very tender that you can virtually eat with your lips.
Fresh Cheese filled Crepes w/ Blueberry Sauce
- 1 cup warm milk
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 oz. of cottage cheese, farmers cheese or ricotta cheese 1 1/2 cups
- 2 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstartch
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2-4 tbsp grated butter (to sprinkle between crepes when layering the crepes in the baking dish)
Make the blueberry sauce
- Combine the blueberries, water, and sugar in a medium sauce pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat and cook until the berries are softened slightly, about 1-2 minutes.
In a small cup combine the 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water.
Add the cornstarch mixture to the blueberries, whisk and bring it back to a boil. Then, cook for 3-4 minutes stirring constantly until the cornstarch flavor has disappeared.
Remove from heat, let come to room temperature, then refrigerate until needed
To make the Crepe Batter
- Using mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on medium speed mix together eggs, flour (it will be thick) and salt until smooth.
Slowly start adding warm milk 1/4 at a time, making sure that each addition is fully incorporated, before adding any more.
- Lastly add the melted butter and also mix until smooth.
- For best results let rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
To cook the crepes:
- Pour the batter in a shallow wide dish (or the one that comes with the crepe maker) and dip the pan into the batter. Let the crepe cook for 30-40 seconds, or until no wet spots are seen on top.
In one swift motion flip it onto a large plate. Repeat until no more batter is left.
To make the Filling
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients until smooth.
To Fill Crepes:
- Take the stack of nalisniki or creps and flip them cooked/browned side down.
Take about a tablespoon of filling, place it in the middle and spread along the middle third of the crepe.
Fold the right side towards the center, then the opposite side. Now roll the crepe jelly-roll fashion away from yourself.
- Fill a glass baking dish with rolled nalisniki, grating some butter between each layer of crepes. Bake in the 350F oven for about 30 minutes, or until hot throughout.
- Place 2-3 rolled crepes onto a plate. Spoon some blueberry sauce on top.
Serve hot nalisniki with a choice of jam, honey, condensed milk, caramel, sour cream or a fruit sauce.
You can fill the nalisniki a day ahead, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. 30 minutes before serving, pop them in the hot oven and then serve
If you're using a conventional skillet method, increase the milk amount from 1 cup to 3 cups.
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!