Baked Feta Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes
This Baked Feta Pasta is so creamy, so flavorful, so easy to make…seriously, you’ve got to try this one! Cherry tomatoes are roasted with a block of feta and seasoning to create a cheesy sauce. Add cooked pasta, mix—and dinner is on the table.
Baked Feta Pasta
If you are on Tik Tok, you may have seen this viral recipe that started by a Finnish blogger. Let me tell you, it’s popular for good reason…it’s delicious! Truly, I haven’t enjoyed eating a pasta dish this much in months. This is probably due to the feta cheese – I am a HUGE feta fan! Anyone else?
If you are used to only seeing it sprinkled on a Greek salad, this baked feta pasta is about to open up a whole world of possibility for you. The feta adds a creamy, salty, cheesy base that compliments the sweet cherry tomatoes perfectly.
Tips for the Best Baked Feta Pasta with Roasted tomatoes:
- Small baking dish: make sure to bake the tomatoes and feta in a baking dish small enough where the ingredients are snug together, this ensures that they don’t burn but instead cook evenly in oil into a delicious confit. If you have a 6-quart dutch oven, that will work as well.
- Choose sweet cherry tomatoes: the balance between the sweet tomatoes and the salty, creamy feta is what really makes this cherry tomato pasta spectacular. Don’t choose grape tomatoes as they are not as sweet as the cherry variety!
- Use full-fat feta cheese: the fat adds creaminess and flavor, so go for full fat if possible.
- Crumbled Feta: if all you have is crumbled feta, not a block of feta (it has disappeared from the shelves in many places), just pile it up in the middle and you’re ready to make the best baked feta pasta.
- Olive oil: it might look like this recipe calls for a lot of oil (1/2 a cup) but this is part of what makes this recipe this good! Reduce the amount at your own risk 😀
- Red Pepper Flakes: the original recipe calls for red chile peppers, but I used red pepper flakes because that’s all I had and it worked well.
- Use pasta with ridges or groves: since the baked feta sauce is the best part of this recipe you want pasta that will collect the sauce in its crevices and groves.
- Add greens: feta and cherry tomatoes work well with basil, spinach, parsley, or even arugula. Add any of them for a delicious pop of flavor and color.
Recipe at a Glance: How to make Roasted Tomato Pasta
For detailed recipe instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Add chopped onions, garlic cloves, dried herbs, pepper, part of the oil to a baking dish and toss together.
- Add feta cheese to the middle and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake until golden in color, then press with a fork or spatula to make a paste.
- Add cooked pasta and mix.
- Top with parsley or basil and enjoy!
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe with precise ingredient amounts.
More Pasta Recipes:
- Creamy Tomato Pasta
- Fluffy Gnocchi
- Sausage Pepper Fettuccine Skillet
- Pasta in Sweet Cream Cheese Sauce
Baked Feta Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes
This roasted tomato pasta is swirled with a block of feta cheese for the most flavorful dinner ever!
- 8 oz feta cheese (full fat is best)
- 16 oz cherry tomatoes (the sweeter the better)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (for heat)
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 8 - 16 oz pasta of choice (use less pasta for more creamy sauce) (Note 1)
- 1/4 cup chopped basil or chopped parsley
Bake the Feta & Tomatoes
Preheat the oven to 465F° with the baking rack in the middle.
In a 7"x10" baking dish (or something similar size) toss together 16 oz of cherry tomatoes, 1/2 a chopped onion, 5-6 garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, black pepper and most of the olive oil (reserve about 1-2 tablespoons).
Then, add the 8 oz block of feta cheese in the middle and sprinke with the remainder of the olive oil.
Bake uncovered for about 25-35 minutes depending on how much browinng you like on the tomatoes. The tomatoes should be well golden-brown and soft, and the feta cheese nice and melty soft. If everything starts to brown too fast, turn down the heat slightly.
Cook the pasta
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, season it with salt generously, and cook the pasta in the water until al dente.
Resrve about 1 cup of pasta water before draining the pasta.
Combine Baked feta with Pasta
Once the feta and the tomatoes are baked, mash the baked feta and tomatoes into a smooth mixture, then add the drained pasta and keep stirring until the pasta is well coated in the sauce. Mix in some pasta water if the pasta seems dry.
Lastly, stir in the chopped parsley or basil and serve.
Another great option would be a couple of handfuls of arugula or spinach. Add them together with the warm pasta and stir them in for a delightful addition of flavor and nutrition.
- Note 1: Calorie count indicated for the recipe is if you use 8 oz of dry pasta.