The Best Tomato Toast with Mozzarella (Video)
Tomato Toast is a play on the Margherita Pizza, with the exception of the basil. The combination of the warm, crusty bread, fresh garlic, tomato, and mozzarella has become a favorite in our family and we wait all year to use the garden-fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes for this delicious toast.
If you’re a fan of this combination you will also love this Margherita Flatbread Pizza.
The tomato, garlic, and cheese combined with the warm toasty bread is so simple that everyone who’s ever tried this toast at my house is always super surprised at how good it is! I love to watch people’s eyes widen as they bite into it and just fall in love with it.
If you’re wanting to eat the tomato toast for breakfast, just add a couple of eggs and you’ve got a breakfast meal.
Or, serve it on a sliced baguette and you’ve got a quick appetizer before a meal.
I hope you give this a try and let me know what you think!
Best way to eat the Tomato Toast:
- Make it right before you’re ready to eat it so that the toast is still slightly warm and crunchy
- Use fresh garlic, none of that jarred stuff
- Use fresh, garden, or heirloom tomatoes when they’re in season for the best tomato flavor
- Grate the mozzarella or gouda cheese yourself, don’t use the prepackaged one (it has an anticaking additive that throws off the flavor)
- Season the tomato well (with salt)
- Use artisan bread, or baguette if available
How to make the Tomato Mozzarella Toast
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices.
- Shred the cheese on a box grater
- Peel the garlic and put it through the garlic press, then combine with mayo.
- Next, grill or toast the bread until a good golden crust forms.
- Assemble: Spread some garlic mayo on top of the toast, add the tomato, sprinkle with salt & pepper, then top with a generous amount of cheese.
And there you have it – the best tomato mozzarella toast. Now, close your eyes, and enjoy!
Scroll down to see the video & a printable recipe card.
Check out these other delicious Appetizers here:
- Cheesy Stuffed Mushrooms
- Mushroom Pate Bruschetta
- Portobello Brie Crostini
- Skewered Chicken Pate Stacks
The Best Tomato Toast
This Tomato Toast is made of warm toasted bread, garlicky mayo, ripe tomato and a healthy heap of shredded cheese. It's the best tomato toast out there.
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, stem and ends trimmed (sliced into 1/2 inch slices)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices of white artisan bread (sliced to 3/4 inch thickness)
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed or finely minced)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 oz Mozzarella cheese (use full fat Mozzarella or Gouda cheese, any not too strongly flavored cheese will work here)
How to make the Best Tomato Toast
Toast the bread in a toaster, on a grill or a dry skillet until the outside is well toasted/golden. Allow the bread to cool just slightly.
Meanwhile, mix the mayo and garlic. Slice the tomatoes and bread.
Spread some garlic mayo, top with a slice or two of tomatoes and season them with salt & pepper. Next, sprinkle with shredded cheese or shred the cheese right onto the toast.
Thank you for following me on Instagram, Facebook & Pinterest!
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!
Such a simple recipe yet so amazing. A new favourite! Thanks for sharing.
This mozzarella tomato toast recipe is really amazing. I just love this recipe. Thanks for sharing such an awesome post.
would you put it under the broiler for a few minute to melt the cheese Thanks Love the recipe
Hi Nancy, I do not put it under the broiler as that completely changes the texture and flavor. This doesn’t mean that you can’t – who knows, may be you’ll like it better like that.