Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe – Silky-Smooth and Creamy
Roasted Tomato Soup is made with roasted tomatoes, garlic, as well as grilled peppers and a dash of cayenne. This soup recipe gives you a bowl of silky smooth goodness that you’ll want to make again and again!
I have come to like the tomato soup very late in life, literally this last year. Before that, you couldn’t make me try it with a stick. This might have something to do with not so fond memories of being made to drink tomato juice as a kid.
Nevertheless, tried it once and it was love at first spoon. I guess it’s a good thing the one I tried the first time was good, otherwise that might’ve been the last time I ever did. Since then, I have ordered it anywhere it was available when eating out. Now it was time to recreate it at home and make it my own.
What makes this the best Roasted Tomato Soup?
Well, when recipe tasting I have found several things that take the Tomato Soup from ordinary, to extraordinary. Those things are – grilled, not just roasted peppers, roasted garlic, roasted, not canned tomatoes and of course the king of all things delicious – caramelized onions.
I had some grilled peppers in the fridge from the day before, that I conveniently used in this recipe. I loved the hint of smokiness it imparted, without being overpowering.
If you don’t care to hassle with grilling though, you can just add them to the roasting pan together with the tomatoes, but if you want the best – do spend the extra time to grill them.
Substitute for Cream in Tomato Soup
If you’re the one to always look for ways to make your meals cleaner, healthier and are looking for ways to forgo the cream, you’re in luck!
The flavors in this soup are so amazing that you can omit the cream altogether or just replace it with more chicken stock. The cream adds a certain richness, but if you prefer to keep the soup low-calorie, go ahead and leave it out.
How to serve this Silky-Smooth Roasted Tomato Soup
Of course, the best thing that goes with this soup is your ol’ grilled cheese sandwich, but you can serve it with baked or fried Mozzarella Sticks, pita chips or even these beautiful Italian breadsticks (grissini) as an alternative.
Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
Ingredients for the Roasted Tomato Soup
- Use the ripest and best tomatoes you have available. Typically Roma tomatoes are preferred for tomato soup, but I used a mix of beefsteak tomatoes (the large round tomatoes) and some tomatoes on the vine and really couldn’t tell a difference.
- If you have fresh basil, that’s the best! But if not, a dash of Italian seasoning is a good replacement.
- This soup can be made with cream, or without. It’s a bit more luscious with cream, but without it’s still very good.
- Try to avoid using preserved fresh garlic. It has a different flavor that is not as pleasant as actual fresh garlic cloves.
- Sugar – depending on the acidity content of your tomatoes, you might need to use the full 2 tablespoons, or just half of it. Start with 1/2 tablespoon and add more as needed for flavor balance.
How to make Tomato Soup in the blender:
Once you have your tomatoes and garlic roasted, peppers grilled and the onions caramelized it’s a straight shot from here.
Just add all solid ingredients first and blend until smooth.
Then thin out with cream and chicken stock.
Looking for more ways to enjoy Tomatoes this summer? Look no further!
Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe - Silky-Smooth and Creamy
- 2 1/2 lb tomatoes 2.5 lb = about 5 large tomatoes
- 1 head garlic , peeled
- 1/2 onion , peeled, diced
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 bell pepper (1 bell pepper = 5 baby bell peppers)
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar , granulated
- 1 tsp black ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Italian Seasoning (can be replaced with 4-5 fresh basil leaves)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, heated to a boil
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth (can be replaced with boiling water and 1 Tbsp Better than Bouillon )
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper increase amount for extra spiciness (up to 1/4 tsp per recipe)
Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Wash the tomatoes and peppers. Peel garlic cloves and the onion. Dice the onion to small cubes.
How to Roast the Tomatoes
Cut the tomatoes into 6 wedges and arrange on the baking sheet. Toss the garlic cloves throughout the tomatoes. Drizzle with about 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Place in a preheated to 425 oven for about 20 -25 minutes, or until the tomatoes are well roasted with some charring on tops.
How to grill the pepper
Roast the pepper on the grill over medium heat, rotating on all sides until well softened and good grill marks develop. This step can be possibly omitted, instead just toss the cut up pepper with the tomatoes and roast together.
While the vegetables are roasting:
Add 3-4 tablespoons of oil to a skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the diced onion, then stirring periodically sauté until golden in color. Remove the caramelized onions to a separate bowl with only 2 tablespoons of oil. Discard or repurpose the rest of the oil.
Combine and blend until smooth
To a blender add the roasted tomatoes and garlic, grilled pepper, sautéed onions with the oil, black pepper, salt, sugar, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, or basil and puree on high speed until completely smooth, about 2 minutes.
While continuing to blend, through the opening in the lid pour 1.5 cups of chicken broth, then 1/4 cup of heavy cream and taste for seasoning. Add another 1/2 cup of chicken broth for thinner consistency.