Classic Creme Brulee (4 Ingredients Only!)
Classic Creme Brûlée is a creamy, smooth, custard dessert. A simple recipe on how to make this Creamy Custard Dessert with a sugary crust. It takes only 4 ingredients and under 15 minutes to make this Creme Brulee Recipe.
Pin this Classic Creme Brulee recipe to your Pinterest board!
What Is Creme Brulee?
This Classic Creme Brulee is a custard topped with a thin caramelized sugar layer, which is achieved by melting the granulated sugar using a blow torch. The thin layer of hard caramel is one of the most iconic components of this custard dessert.
As I was making something with a ton of egg whites, I had some egg yolks leftover and wanted to use it them up. Creme Brûlée was the first thing that came to mind and since it’s a super relatively easy thing to make, I went for it.
All you need for this creamy, smooth, custard dessert is eggs, sugar, heavy cream and vanilla bean/extract, 15 minutes of your time and the oven and the fridge will do the rest of ‘heavy lifting’. Now get to it, you know you want to!
Classic Creme Brulee Recipe(4 Ingredients Only!)
Yield: 12 ramekins (1/2 cup each)
Ingredient for Creme Brulee:
- Egg yolks
How to make Creme Brûlée:
- Whisk the egg yolks with sugar and vanilla, then temper them with hot cream.
- Divide the custard between the ramekins and bake in the over in a water bath. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.
- Right before serving sprinkle with sugar and using a blow torch melt it into a caramel layer.
Here’s an easy print version with the more detailed version of the recipe.
Classic Creme Brule (4 Ingredients Only!)
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 6-8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp vanilla extract or seeds of 1 vanilla pod
For Caramelized Crust:
- 12 tsp fine sugar
How to make the Creme Brulee:
- Turn oven to 325F.
- Line a baking sheet with tall sides (glass baking dish or turkey roasting dish works well) with 2 layers of paper towel or 1 layer of kitchen towel, set aside.
- Place the empty ramekins inside the baking dish.
- Fill a tea kettle with water and allow to come to a boil.
To Make the Creme Brulee Mixture
- Add the heavy cream to a large sauce pot and allow to come to a simmer. If using the vanilla seeds add them right now.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow color.
- Pour the hot heavy cream into the egg yolk/sugar mixture in a thin stream, while continuously whisking to prevent the egg yolks from curdling. If using the vanilla extract add it to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the ramekins. This is best done using a pitcher.
To Bake & Chill
- Put the baking dish with filled ramekins onto the middle rack of the hot oven and pour the hot water around the ramekins until it comes halfway up to the sides. Loosely cover with foil.
- Slide the baking rack back inside the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Then, remove from the oven and allow to come to room temperature. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours until thoroughly chilled.
- Within 30 minutes, sprinkle the tops with 1 tsp of sugar and shake around until it covers the surface. Now using a torch caramelize the top.
To caramelize the top:
- Hold the ramekin in one hand at a 45 degree angle with the blow torch in another hand. Go over the sugar with the blow torch in circles, rotating the ramekin which will allow the sugar to caramelize the whole surface and make an even layer of the sugar crust.
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!