Mini Donuts Recipe
These mini donuts are a delicious treat that can be enjoyed by everyone in your household. You can enjoy this versatile recipe in so many ways—drizzle with caramel or Nutella, or serve with a dusting of powdered sugar. Either way, it’s fantastic!
Quick Donut Recipe
This quick donut recipe comes together fast as they are made without yeast. This means no more sitting and waiting for your donut dough to rise!
Just because this is a quick donut recipe doesn’t mean we are sacrificing any flavor, however. These mini donuts are made with the addition of ricotta cheese, which creates a perfectly pillowy, moist donut.
When you want to enjoy a treat that’s quick but oh-so-good, look no further than this quick donut recipe. You won’t regret it!
Tips for Making the Mini Donuts:
- Avoid adding any extra flour to your dough. If you haven’t made these types of donuts before, be forewarned that the dough is very sticky. This is normal! However, this means that you may be tempted to add extra flour to the dough—don’t do this! Just lightly dust your working surface when rolling out the dough, but don’t mix the extra flour into the dough itself.
- Use a heavy-bottomed or cast iron pan. To get the best results when frying, I highly recommend using a heavy-bottomed or a cast iron pan. This will give you more even temperature control.
- Use a frying thermometer. To get that perfectly crisp exterior and soft pillowy interior, you want the oil to be between 350 – 375 degrees. If it gets too hot, your donuts may burn. Use a frying thermometer to keep the temperature correct.
- Choose a neutral oil. To keep the flavor intact, reach for a neutral oil that has a high smoke point. A few options include corn, canola, or vegetable oil. I sometimes will also use light olive oil—this is a different oil from virgin olive oil, which will not work well in this recipe.
- Let the mini donuts cool completely before icing or dusting with sugar. To prevent the drizzle or sugar from melting onto the donut, let the mini donut cool completely first.
How to Make This Mini Donut Recipe
For detailed recipe instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Mix together all the ingredients with the exception of the flour until smooth.
- Add in the flour. Mix again until the dough is incorporated.
- Flour your working surface, then dump the dough onto it. Sprinkle additional flour on top of the dough, then use your hands or a rolling pint o press it into a 1″-thick disk.
- Cut out the mini donuts by using a 3-inch round cookie cutter. Then, use a 3/4-inch cutter to cut out the. middle. Collect all the leftover dough into a ball, then repeat the steps above until the dough is fully used.
- Choose a neutral oil, then pour it into a heavy-bottomed or cast iron pan until the oil is one inch deep. Heat until it is 350 degrees, then fry the donuts in batches until golden brown in color, then flip to the other side.
- Transfer to a cooling rack using a slotted spoon. Lastly, drizzle on a topping of Nutella or a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe with precise ingredient amounts.
More Breakfast Recipes:
- The Best Buttermilk Biscuits
- Strawberry Scones
- Apple Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping
- Easy Cheese Danish
Mini Donuts Recipe
These mini donuts are made with ricotta cheese that adds the perfect moist, fluffy texture You won't be able to eat just one - but with the mini size, you won't have to!
- neutral oil for frying
- 1/2 cup Nutella for optional drizzle
Mix: In a large bowl mix together 32 oz of ricotta cheese, 1 egg, 2/3 cups sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 3 tsp baking powder until combined. Then, add 2 1/4 cups of flour and mix together well.
Roll: Dump the mini donut dough onto a well-floured working surface. Sprinkle more flour on top of the dough, then roll out or pat down the dough to about 1-inch thickness.
Fry: Heat an inch of non-flavored, high smoke point frying oil in a heavy-bottomed pot to 375 degrees on a frying thermometer. Fry the mini donuts for a few minutes until golden brown, then flip and fry the other side similarly. Then remove them and place on a cooling rack.
Drizzle: Fill a ziplock bag with 1/2 cup of Nutella. Then, snip off the corner of the bag to create a piping bag and drizzle the donuts with Nutella. This is optional, but recommended!