This is my second ‘go-to’ recipe for Scones. First one I ever found and really liked was the Blueberry Scone recipe. It’s wonderful, made without eggs, but the texture is different from these Raspberry Scones.
This one, has very crumbly and gentle texture, with slight crispiness on the outside and tang from both the raspberry glaze and the raspberries itself inside. Scones in general come together rather quickly, and this recipe is no different – just mix the dry, add the wet ingredients, mix, shape and bake, so you’ll be all done within 30 minutes.
It’s always nice to have one of these recipes on hand, because when you need to satisfy your sweet tooth, you don’t want to fuss in the kitchen for 6 hours, with sweat dripping from your forehead. So try it, I guarantee you will love it!
Sweet and flaky raspberry scones recipe made great for a dessert or breakfast.
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 5 tbsp sugar
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside
In a food processor mix 2 cups flour, 6 Tbsp sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt, for about 20 seconds. Add cubes of 1/2 cup butter and process until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add lemon zest.
Whisk together 1 egg, 1/2 cup cream & 1 Tbsp vanilla extract. Add to the flour/butter mixture and allow the food processor to process everything until the dough starts to come together.
- Remove the dough onto working surface, bring everything together with hands and fold it together until it comes together into a dough ball.
- Roll it out on floured surface into a rectangle. Spread raspberries around. Roll the dough with the raspberries, starting from the narrower side, pressing the dough to extract air, as you roll.
- Keep rolling/stretching the roll out with your palms, until you get it to about 3 inches thick. Now cut it with a knife into 16 triangles, by cutting diagonally across the roll.
- Transfer the scones onto a baking sheet.
Brush on 2 Tbsps melted butter and generously sprinkle with 5 Tbsps sugar. This will give scones a crispy crust.
- Bake for 17 minutes, or until slightly golden.
- Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool.
Make the glaze.
Crush the raspberries, add 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Transfer into a ziplock bag. Snip off the end and drizzle tops of the scones in a zig-zag pattern. Alternatively, use a fork to drizzle the glaze on.
- Serve with tea or coffee.
Use any other berry you have on hand if you do not have Raspberries. If using frozen berries, do not thaw before adding into the dough.
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!