I made this beautiful Cobb Salad couple days ago and I think the color palette of this salad echoes my mood today, happy and colorful! The flavors of the romaine lettuce, egg, avocado, bacon, chicken and the delicious dressing work so well together! Cobb Salad is an entree type of salad, since the ingredients are very rich and filling, even if combined with lettuce. Try this salad with my favorite Buttermilk Dressing and see just how easy it is to whip up at home!
Here’s a little history lesson- Cobb salad has been around since 1930’s some say, and it’s a main dish American salad that always consists of Egg, Avocado, Tomato, Chicken, Onion, Bacon and Blue cheese. There’s many spins on this salad, where some add beans, or corn to it, others add olives, but most of the time it will be the 7 mentioned above.
Simple and delicious Cobb Salad full of flavors. This Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe is made with tomatoes, onions, egg, and bacon then topped with a creamy Buttermilk Homemade Ranch Dressing!
- 3 cups chopped spinach/romaine lettuce/ iceberg lettuce
- 1 chicken breast split horizontally
- 1 large tomato or 2 medium sized diced
- 12 quail eggs or 2 large chicken eggs boiled
- ½ avocado
- 3 strips bacon rendered & crispy
- 3 tablespoons cheese blue, cheddar or others, shredded
- ½ onion sweet or red, diced
Homemade Buttermilk Dressing
- Brown the chicken on both sides in a skillet with 1-2 tablespoons oil. Finish by adding 1-2 tablespoons water, covering with a lid and allowing it to cook through, for another 4-5 minutes.
- Place bacon on a baking sheet and cook in the oven at 350, for 15 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, cut in small pieces. Alternatively, crisp up the bacon on a skillet, over medium heat.
- Boil the eggs. Peel & roughly chop them.
- Chop the spinach leaves/lettuce. Dice the onion and tomatoes. Peel & cut the avocado.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, transfer to cutting board, and cut against the grain, into strips.
Make the dressing
- Mix all ingredients in a jar and shake it until it’s well combined, or combine in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the salad in a bowl.
- Place the rest of the ingredients in strips, for a beautiful presentation.
- Serve the dressing on the side.