Homemade Marshmallow – Ptichye Moloko
Ptichye Moloko is soft, buttery, fluffy and is the best homemade marshmallow recipe. Coat it in powdered cocoa, or dip it in chocolate, or eat it as is – it’s all amazing!
We also like this other low-fat version of a Marshmallow called Zefir, give it a look!
So, who’s got the time to make homemade marshmallows from scratch when you can conveniently buy them at a store? Not me, that’s for sure!
But, these are not just your ordinary marshmallows. While they are made with similar ingredients to marshmallows, the flavor is nothing like what you’ve had.
They don’t have the same chew that you’re used to, and instead just slowly melt away in your mouth as soon as you have a bite.
What is Ptichye Moloko?
Ptichye Moloko (pronounced ptee-ch’-jeh moh-loko) translates as “bird’s milk” but has nothing to do with the milk of the birds. It is actually a popular chocolate covered milk-souffle type of candy that you can find at many Russian stores. There’s also a cake version of Ptichye Moloko.
The meaning of the name Ptichye Moloko is actually an ancient Greek idiom that means the same thing as when you say “hen’s teeth” in English. It means – something that would be impossible to find. A delicacy that is unobtainable.
Homemade Marshmallow Tips for Success:
- pre-measure and prepare all your ingredients before starting as the recipe moves fast
- start with room temperature eggs – they whip up better
- do not replace agar-agar with gelatin, they work differently
- The better quality butter, vanilla extract, and sweetened condensed milk the better the flavor
Ingredients for the Homemade Marshmallow
- This recipe uses a lot of sugar, but do not be tempted to cut it down. The sugar is needed for the agar-agar (gelatinizing agent) to set and for this homemade marshmallow treat to taste properly.
- Agar-agar can be purchased at any specialty stores or online (amazon.com). It is inexpensive and will last you quite awhile.
How to make the Bird’s Milk Marshmallow
- Whip the butter and condensed milk together into a buttercream. This will be used later.
- Make the agar-agar syrup. Cook it until 110F or until the syrup pulls in a thin thread.
- Whip the meringue, then add the hot agar-agar syrup and continue whipping for about 10 minutes. Lastly, add the vanilla and fold in the prepared earlier buttercream.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the lined baking pan and allow to set for 4 hours at room temp. Then cut into squares and coat in cocoa powder or powdered sugar.
How to store the Ptichye Moloko Marshmallow
Place the coated marshmallows into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Looking for more Candy Recipes? Check out these
Homemade Marshmallow (Ptichye Moloko)
Ptichye Moloko is soft, buttery, fluffy and is the best homemade marshmallow recipe. Coat it in powdered cocoa, or dip it in chocolate, or eat it as is - it's all amazing!
How to make the Homemade Marshmallow
Line a 9"x9" baking pan with 2 inch tall sides with parchment paper so that it comes up the sides. Set aside
Whip the buttercream: Whip 1.5 cup room temperature butter on high for about 5 minutes, scraping down the sides often, until the butter looks fluffy and whiter in color. Add 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk in thirds, minimally whipping after each addition.
Cook the syrup: to a medium sized sauce pan add 1 cup water and 9g of agar-agar. Cook until it comes to a boil, then add the 2 cups sugar and continue cooking and stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cook until the syrup is thick and lifting a spoon from the syrup the syrup pulls in a thin thread. If you're using a thermometer, the mixture should be around 110F. Take off the heat.
Whip egg whites: now whip the 3 egg whites, 2 tbsp of sugar, and 3/4 tsp of citric acid for about 2 minutes. Then, while continuing to whip add the agar-agar syrup in a slow drizzle until fully incorporated. Continue whipping for about 8-10 minutes.
Combine the meringue and the buttercream with a spatula carefully folding it in, or by adding the buttercream into the meringue by whipping on slow speed.
Pour the prepared ptichye moloko into the prepared mold quickly as it sets at room temperature. Allow to set for 3-4 hours at room temperature
Portion: Cut the marshmallow into 1.5 inch cubes. Remove the marshmallow from the mold by pulling onto the parchment paper ends. Coat each cube of marshmallow unsweetened cocoa powder, or melt some dark chocolate melts and dip each piece in the melted chocolate.
How to store marshmallow
Refrigerate ptichye moloko marshmallow in a closed container.