Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe
Instant Pot brown rice serves as the perfect base for hundreds of dishes. Pressure cooker brown rice can be safely made inside the Instant Pot as you create the rest of your dinner.
Flavorful Instant Pot Brown Rice
Brown rice gets a bad reputation as the least desirable type of rice. In the past, I may have agreed with that and opted for white rice, but that was before I tried Instant Pot brown rice.
Cooking it inside the pressure cooker means that the rice is perfectly chewy and has that wonderful rich, nutty flavor. With this recipe, brown rice gives a deep flavor profile that is quickly becoming a family favorite.
Instant Pot Brown Rice Cooks Itself
Yes, you can make rice on the stovetop, but the beauty of Instant Pot rice is that you can create it entirely hands-free, at a fraction of the time. Rather than constantly adjusting the temperature of the dish on the stove pot, you can simply add your ingredients into the IP and let the machine take care of making perfect brown rice.
Instant Pot Timing
It’s important to note that when you’re making a pressure cooker recipe like this Instant Pot brown rice, there are three times you must consider.
- First, it will take a certain amount of time for the cooker to come to pressure.
- Secondly, the recipe must cook at that pressure for a certain amount of time.
- Lastly, the rice will need to de-pressurize before you open the lid.
If you’re wondering why some rice recipes seem quicker than others, it is likely because only the second part of the recipe is indicated in the recipe timing. While it is hands-off cooking, it’s still important to know that it will take longer than just the cook time.
How to Make Brown Rice in an Instant Pot
- Making rice in an Instant Pot is one of the most popular uses for the pressure cooker. In fact, you may notice there is even a rice button on the machine. For this recipe, however, you’ll need to use manual pressure.
- First, you’ll need to rinse the rice. This can be done easily in a mesh strainer or with a cheesecloth. Brown rice only needs to be rinsed 1-2 times to remove the extra starch before making rice in an Instant Pot.
- Then combine your rice, salt, and chicken broth into the IP. Place the lid on and make sure the ring is set to seal. Cook the rice in the Instant Pot for 30 minutes, followed by a natural release after 20 minutes. Then open and fluff before topping with butter and fresh herbs.
FAQs About Pressure Cooker Brown Rice
Cooking pressure cooker brown rice is certainly different than cooking white rice. Because it isn’t done as frequently (yet), I wanted to address a few frequently asked questions.
Is Brown Rice Healthier Than White Rice?
Short answer – yes…maybe. Brown rice has long been considered healthier since it is not stripped of the outer bran, which has higher fiber (7 times more than white) and protein content among other nutrients.
Overall, brown rice may be healthier than white rice, but that also depends on your fitness goals.
What Goes with Pressure Cooker Brown Rice?
There are so many fantastic ways to serve this pressure cooker rice. Some of my favorite recipes to make with it include:
- grilled chicken kabobs
- garlic ranch baked chicken thighs
- beef with caramelized onions and mushrooms
- Chinese orange chicken
Does Brown Rice Need to be Rinsed?
Yes. Pressure cooker brown rice should be measured, then rinsed before cooking. This is done to help remove the excess starch the grains contain.
Without rinsing, the starch will result in stickier rice, and you will also run the risk of clogging the valve while using the pressure cooker.
Can I Double This Recipe?
Pressure cooker brown rice can be doubled. Use twice the amount of each ingredient, but leave your pressure cooking time the same.
More Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Korean Beef and Rice
- Fluffy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Pressure Cooker Oatmeal
Instant Pot Brown Rice
This easy pressure cooker brown rice results in a perfect grain every time.
- 1 sprinkle chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 tbsp butter
How to Make Brown Rice in an Instant Pot
Measure 1 cup of brown rice and rinse 1-2 times until the water is clear.
Add rice, ½ tsp of salt and 1 ⅓ cup of chicken broth to the Instant Pot.
Place lid and make sure valve is set to seal.
Set on manual then select high pressure at 30 minutes.
Once countdown has finished, allow rice to naturally release pressure for 20 minutes.
Open lid, fluff rice with a fork. Sprinkle the rice with chopped parsley or cilantro along with 1 tbsp of butter before serving if you would like.