Instant Pot Beef Rice Pilaf (Plov)
Instant Pot Beef Rice Pilaf or Plov is a hearty one-pot meal that’s easy to make and super delicious. The rice is well infused with the flavor of beef and spices and makes the best rice you will ever have!
Like a combination of beef and rice? Check out this Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Casserole, so goood!
What is Plov?
Plov is originally an Uzbek type of pilaf made with rice, fried onions, carrots, meat and spices. Even though pilaf is Uzbek by origin, every Ukrainian or Russian household has their own variation of this type of Beef Rice. Below you’ll learn about the secrets to my family’s favorite version. I hope you enjoy it!
Easy One-Pot Meal Plov
This Instant Pot Beef Rice or as we call it Plov is my go-to meal when I am busy doing stuff around the house, but need dinner on the table.
You basically load the Instant Pot (which is a pressure cooker that speeds up cooking time) and let it do its thing. Then, add the rice and let it do its thing one more time before you open the lid and the whole house fills with the aroma of perfectly tender beef and rice.
Can this Plov Recipe be doubled?
Make sure to double the recipe if you want some leftovers for next day lunch. The Plov reheats very well and some might say tastes even better the next day.
If doubling this plov recipe, double all ingredients except for water. Instead, decrease the amount of water/broth by 1/2 a cup per the double recipe.
Can I make the Beef Rice Pilaf (Plov) on a stove top?
- Yes, this recipe works just as well on a stove top. The only difference would be in the time it would take to cook. Increase the time for cooking beef on medium-low heat to about 1.5 hours or until the beef chunks are tender.
- Then, once the short grain white rice is added cook it for 20 minutes with the lid on, followed by turning off the heat and leaving it for 15 minutes before opening the lid and fluffing it with a fork.
Substitute for White Rice
- Brown rice is a good replacement for white rice in this recipe. Use short-grain brown rice and add it at the beginning with the beef (cooking it for 45 min). In this case, you will add the halved garlic at the same time as well. Using brown rice is not only healthier but cuts the overall cooking time by almost 20 minutes since the rice cooks at the same time as the beef.
- Buckwheat is the second alternative. Add it in place of white rice and follow the recipe as is written, except for replacing the white rice with buckwheat.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Plov
For my plov, I use round or pearl rice as it gives the best bite and flavor. You can use any other type of rice, but round is best.
To make the best rice pilaf you need to have a fatty type of meat like beef chuck. You can also use tri-tip or stew meat, but those tend to not be as tender and soft when cooked.
How to make Instant Pot Rice Pilaf
- Saute the onion with oil until lightly golden, then add the carrots and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add cubed beef, spices, tomato sauce, and beef stock, stir and cook on “Manual” (High pressure) for 45 minutes.
- When the alarm goes off, set the steam valve to “venting”; once the pot is depressurized open the lid and remove the bay leaf. Sprinkle the rinsed and drained rice over the top (do not stir) spreading it into an even layer.Then, push the garlic halves into the rice cut side down. Close the lid and set the valve to “sealing” and cook on “Manual” setting, “High” heat for 15 minutes. Next, leave it for another 15-20 minutes. This allows the rice to absorb the remaining moisture in.
- Turn the steam valve to “venting” and once the pressure is down, open the lid, remove and squeeze the garlic back into the rice, sprinkle with parsley and gently fluff everything with a fork to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Serve the prepared Beef Rice Plov while hot.
Instant Pot Beef Rice Pilaf (Beef Plov)
A hearty meal of rice and beef all cooked in one pot at a fraction of the time. The rice is well infused with the flavor of beef and spices and makes the best rice you will ever have!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Beef Rice
- 1 1/2 lb beef, chuck, cubed to 1 inches, fat trimmed
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 cup short-grain rice, rinsed until the water runs clear , well-drained
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrot, medium size, cut to 1/2 inch
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (optional, can be replaced with beef stock or water)
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth (could be replaced with water)
Instant Pot Plov Seasoning Ingredients
How to make Instant Pot Plov (One-Pot)
Turn the Instant Pot to "Saute" function (30 min). When the display says "Hot" add 2 tbsp of oil and the 1 large diced onion and saute until lightly golden in color, about 5 minutes. Then add 2 cut up carrots, 1.5 lb of cubed beef and stir.
Next, add 1 tsp of ground pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp beef seasoning (if using), 2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, and 1 bay leaf and the 1.5 cups of beef stock. Stir.
Cover the Instant Pot with a lid, turn the steam valve to "sealing". Turn the pressure cooker to "Manual" and "High" heat for 45 minutes. Then once the time expires, cover the steam valve with a kitchen towel and turn it to "venting" to release pressure. Open the lid when the pressure is down.
Remove the bay leaf.
Sprinkle 1.5 cups of rice over the top (do not stir) and spread it evenly with a spoon (so all rice is covered with liquid).
Press halved garlic head, cut side into the rice. Cover with lid, turn the steam valve to "sealing". Turn the Instant pot to "Manual" on "High" heat and set the timer to 15 minutes.
After the time expires turn the Instant Pot off and allow to depressurize naturally for 15-20 minutes (this step is important).
Next, turn the steam valve to "venting" and allow the rest of the steam to escape. Now open the lid, remove the garlic and squeeze it back into the rice (optional), add the parsley and gently fluff the rice with a fork for the ingredients to be evenly distributed.
Substitute for short grain rice
- Use Jasmine or Basmati rice in place of short grain. This will typically give you fluffier rice.
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!