Instant Pot Beef Rice Pilaf (Plov)
Instant Pot Beef Rice Pilaf or Plov is a hearty one-pot meal that’s very easy to make and super delicious. The rice is well infused with the flavor of beef and spices and makes the best rice you will ever have!
What is Plov?
Plov is originally an Uzbek type of pilaf made with rice, fried onions, carrots and some kind of meat and spices. Even though this pilaf is Uzbek by origin, every Ukrainian or Russian household has their own variation of this type of Beef Rice. Below you’ll learn about the secrets to my family’s favorite version. I hope you enjoy it!
Easy One-Pot Meal
This Instant Pot Beef Rice or as we call it Plov is my go-to meal when I am busy doing stuff around the house, but need dinner on the table. You basically load the Instant Pot and let it do its thing, then add the rice and let it do its thing one more time before you open the lid and the whole house fills with the aroma of perfectly tender beef and fluffy rice.
It doesn’t hurt that this Beef Recipe is a One-Pot recipe, which means practically no dishes aside from the cutting board and knife that you use to chop the ingredients. My kind of stuff, for sure!
Make sure to double the recipe if you want some leftovers for next day lunch. This Plov reheats very well and some might say even better the next day.
Can I make the Beef Rice Pilaf (Plov) on a stovetop?
- Yes, this recipe works just as well on a stovetop. The only difference would be in the time it would take to cook. Increase the time for cooking beef on medium-low heat to about 1.5 hours or until the beef chunks are tender.
- Then, once the short grain white rice is added cook it for 20 minutes with the lid on, followed by turning off the heat and leaving it for 15 minutes before opening the lid and mixing it.
Substitute for White Rice
- Brown rice is a good replacement for white rice in this recipe. Use short-grain brown rice and add it at the beginning with the beef (cooking it for 45 min). In this case, you will add the halved garlic at the same time as well. Using brown rice is not only healthier but would cut the overall cooking time by almost 20 minutes since the rice cooks at the same time as the beef.
- Buckwheat is the second alternative. Add it in place of white rice and follow as the recipe as is written, except for replacing the white rice with buckwheat.
Instant Pot Beef Rice Pilaf (Plov)
How to make Instant Pot Rice Pilaf
Saute the onion with oil until lightly golden, then add the carrots and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add cubed beef, spices, tomato sauce and beef stock and cook on “Manual” for 45 minutes.
When the alarm goes off, set the steam valve to “venting”, once the pot is depressurized open the lid and remove the bay leaf. Sprinkle the rinsed and drained rice over the top, push the garlic halves into the rice cut side down. Close the lid and set the valve to “sealing” and cook on “Manual” setting, “High” heat for 15 minutes. Then leave it for another 15-20 minutes. This allows the rice to absorb the remaining moisture in.
Turn the steam valve to “venting” and once the pressure is down, open the lid, remove and squeeze the garlic back into the rice, sprinkle with parsley and gently toss everything to evenly distribute the ingredients.
Serve while hot.
Wonder what goes well with Plov?
Instant Pot Beef Rice Pilaf (Beef Plov)
A hearty meal of rice and beef all cooked in one pot at a fraction of the time. The rice is well infused with the flavor of beef and spices and makes the best rice you will ever have!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Beef Rice
- 1 1/2 lb beef, chuck, cubed to 1 inches, fat trimmed
- 1 1/2 cup short-grain rice, rinsed until the water runs clear
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrot, medium size, cut to 1/2 inch
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (optional, can be replaced with beef stock or water)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp black ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp beef seasoning (optional)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
How to make Instant Pot Plov (One-Pot)
Turn the Instant Pot to "Saute" function (30 min). When the display says "Hot" add 2 tbsp of oil and the 1 large diced onion, then saute until lightly golden in color, about 5 minutes. Then add 2 cut up carrots, 1 lb of cubed beef and stir.
Next add the black 1 tsp of ground pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp beef seasoning (if using), 2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup tomato sauce and 1 bay leaf and the 2 cups of beef stock. Stir.
Cover the Instant Pot with a lid, turn the steam valve to "sealing". Turn the pressure cooker to "Manual" and "High" heat for 45 minutes. Then once the time expires, cover the steam valve with a kitchen towel and turn it to "venting" to release pressure.
Remove the bay leaf.
Sprinkle 1.5 cups of rinsed and well-drained rice over the top (do not stir) and spread it evenly with a spoon. Press halved garlic head, cut side into the rice. Cover with lid, turn the steam valve to "sealing". Turn the Instant pot to "Manual" on "High" heat and set the timer to 15 minutes.
After the time expires turn the Instant Pot off and allow to depressurize naturally for 15-20 minutes (this step is important).
Then turn the steam valve to "venting" and allow the rest of the steam to escape. Now open the lid, remove the garlic and squeeze the garlic back into the rice (optional), add the parsley and gently toss the rice for the ingredients to be evenly distributed.
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!