Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole
Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole is everything you love about a traditional cabbage roll recipe, minus the tedious work of rolling each roll. This cabbage roll casserole is made with delicious beef rice filling and tender melt in your mouth cabbage leaves. The presentation is spot on, too!
Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole
Being born and raised in Ukraine, I know a thing or two about good cabbage rolls. Where I come from, it was custom to make rolls super tiny so that one roll would fit comfortably on a spoon for a perfect single bite. They’re cute! But, just thinking about having to roll them gave me anxiety, ha!
Having a job, kids and keeping up with housework you sometimes have to take shortcuts. With these Unstuffed Cabbage rolls, the shortcut involves only the labor part, because the flavor is still spot on!
How to make the Cabbage Roll Casserole
- You want to start by preparing the cabbage. Soften it by either microwaving it in a covered bowl for about 8-9 minutes or boiling it in in a big pot of water and removing the leaves one by one once soft.
- Prepare the beef and rice cabbage rolls stuffing.
- Layer the cabbage roll casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake until tender perfection!
How to make the Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls stuffing:
- Parboil the rice.
- Saute vegetables.
- Grind meat.
- Combine all ingredients for the stuffing with a spoon or a mixer.
How to layer the Cabbage Roll Casserole:
- Spray a 9″x12″ baking dish with nonstick spray, or oil it. Preheat oven.
- Layer the casserole by spreading 1/4 of the softened cabbage leaves evenly, then 1/3 of the beef rice, then repeat until all ingredients are used up. Cut into squares.
- Pour the cooking liquid. Don’t be intimidated if the casserole dish is very full, most of the liquid is combined with the rice so there’s not usually any or a lot of overflows.
- Cover with foil and bake. You know the casserole is done cooking if the spoon goes through the cabbage like butter. If you’re not able to “spoon” some of the cabbage roll casserole out because the cabbage leaves “drag”, allow baking until the spoon goes through the leaves with no resistance.
Once done baking, remove the foil and serve. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Make-ahead unstuffed Cabbage Roll Recipe:
To make this a make-ahead, layer the cabbage roll casserole with cabbage and beef rice. Cover with foil. Refrigerate until ready to bake. Right before baking, pour the cooking liquid, cover with foil and proceed with baking instructions.
You can also prepare the beef rice stuffing and softened cabbage several days ahead, then assemble and start baking a couple of hours before serving.
Can this recipe be made in the Slow Cooker?
Yes! Just layer the Cabbage and beef rice filling inside the slow cooker liner and bake on high for 8-9 hours.
Other great Dinner Recipes:
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff – this one is definitely a favorite in our family.
- Instant Pot Beef Rice Pilaf – you can make this delicious beef rice on a stovetop too!
- Chicken, Mushroom and Potato Casserole – Layer and bake!
- One Pot Easy Beef Stew – 10 minutes of hands-on time, how quick is that?
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Casserole
This Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Casserole is made with delicious beef rice filling and tender melt in your mouth cabbage leaves.
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Casserole Ingredients
- 1 head cabbage, core removed 1 cabbage = 2.5 - 3 lbs
Unstuffed Cabbage Beef Rice Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups round rice
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 lbs ground beef (75/100)
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 carrot, medium, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, pureed 2 tomatoes = 1 1/3 cups pureed)
- 1 tbsp ground mustard (optional)
- 2 tsp dried garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp black ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
How to soften the Cabbage for Cabbage Rolls Casserole
Option 1: Core the cabbage and place it into a deep microwave safe bowl, then cover with plastic wrap so it's not touching the cabbage. Microwave for about 8-10 minutes or until the cabbage is soft* and you can separate the leaves.
Option 2: Alternatively, fill a 6-8 quart pot with water halfway, bring to a boil. Place the cabbage with the core removed and boil, rotating the cabbage until you're able to remove the leaves off, one by one.
Set aside to cool.
Separate the cabbage leaves and divide them into 4 equal amounts.
Combine rice and water in a sauce pot and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until all water is evaporated. Watch it closely so it does not burn at the bottom. Fluff the rice and set aside to cool.
Heat 3-4 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until golden in color and translucent, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add carrots, turn heat to low and cook covered, stirring often for about 5-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Assemble the Stuffing for Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
In a large bowl mix together parboiled rice, sauteed vegetables, ground meat, and the seasoning until thoroughly mixed. Add pureed tomatoes and mix again.
Assemble and Bake
Spray the baking dish with nonstick spray or lightly oil it.
Line the bottom of the baking dish with 1/4 of the cabbage leaves. Spread 1/3 of the cabbage rolls stuffing into an even layer. Continue layering the cabbage leaves and stuffing in this manner, finishing with the leaves on top.
Cut the layered casserole into 3"x3" squares and pour the seasoned broth over them. Shake the baking dish slightly to allow the liquid to reach between each square. Cover with foil. Place the glass baking dish onto a bigger sheet pan, which would catch if there's any overflow when it bakes.
Bake in a preheated to 450F oven for 30 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 325F and cook for another 1 to 2 hours.
Remove foil and transfer to the table. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with sour cream.
*If making the casserole with a large cabbage, microwave the cabbage head for about 7 minutes, remove the outer leaves, then continue microwaving until the rest of the cabbage is soft.
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!