Chicken Mushroom and Potato Casserole
This Chicken Mushroom and Potato Casserole recipe is loved by my whole family. A chicken casserole with potatoes, bacon, and mushrooms.
One of the best Casserole recipes!
Growing up, my mom made a similar casserole recipe. She made one just like this one but she called it French Style Potatoes. The only difference from the recipe below is that she smothered each layer of the casserole with mayo, which I am not a fan of. So I made some additions/substitutions that you might like!
I added some crisped up smoked bacon that added an amazing aroma as well as flavor to the dish, and all that rendered fat was then used to brown the mushrooms. Yuummm!
A spin off the traditional Potato Casserole
If you’re looking for a spin on the traditional meat and potatoes dinner, I think you’ll love this one! Having the potatoes roast in the juices of the chicken, mushrooms, and bacon makes the potatoes so tender and absolutely amazing! This potato casserole is not the same without the meat and mushrooms! Make it once and this casserole will be your new family favorite comfort food!
Can I omit mushrooms in this chicken casserole?
Of course, you can! Only you know what your family loves best and omitting the mushrooms from this recipe is totally ok.
If you want to really up the recipe, you can add more cheese to the top of the potatoes and make it really ooey and gooey. This is a foolproof recipe that is guaranteed to make your dinner table go silent as everybody will be too eager to stuff their faces with this mouthwatering Chicken Mushroom and Potato Casserole!
How to make Chicken Mushroom and Potato Casserole
- Cook the bacon until crispy. Add onions, cook until golden. Remove onions and bacon leaving the grease.
- Heat the leftover bacon grease, saute mushrooms until brown.
- Peel and slice potatoes into ⅛ inch slices. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder and toss to coat.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces and season.
- In a casserole dish add a layer of chicken. Then half the bacon and onions, and a little bit of cheese.
- Next add mushrooms, the rest of the bacon and onions, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Lastly, place the potatoes on top. Mix and pour the chicken stock and cream on top. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 450 F, then reduce to 350F and bake for another 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Once done, sprinkle some cheese, fresh greens, and serve immediately.
Note: this chicken mushroom casserole can be prepped ahead of time by preparing and layering everything but the potatoes. When you’re ready to cook the dish, just peel, slice, layer the potatoes and put it in the oven and follow with the rest of the instructions.
Meat and potatoes dinner
There are many ways you can prepare meals with meat and potatoes. I especially love preparing casseroles. They are easy and so yummy. What is your favorite Meat and Potatoes dinner recipe? Share in the comments below, I would love to hear about your favorites!
Chicken Mushroom and Potato Casserole
Potato casserole with chicken, mushrooms, bacon, and cheese. The casserole is layered and baked in the juices of the meats making a delicious casserole dish.
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 2 chicken breasts
- 10-12 button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 bacon strips thick cut, cut into ⅓ inch pieces
- ½ large onion diced
- ⅓ cup cheese grated mozzarella/gouda/cheddar
- ½ cup stock or bullion
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream or Half & Half as a lighter alternative
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Garlic powder or Ranch seasoning
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp Italian Parsley chopped
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add the chopped bacon and render the bacon until it crisps up. Add chopped onions to the bacon and continue cooking until the onion is golden in color. Tilt the skillet to the side allow the fat to drip to the bottom and remove the onion and bacon in a separate bowl.
- Heat the skillet on high with the bacon fat in it, add quartered mushrooms and brown them over high heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Peel potatoes and slice them into ⅛ inch slices using a mandolin slicer or a knife. Add salt, freshly ground pepper and garlic powder or ranch seasoning and toss to coat, separating the slices to season evenly.
- Cut the chicken breast into 1-inch pieces. Add seasoning (salt, black pepper, garlic powder or ranch powder) and toss to coat.
- Layer the ingredients in the following order: chicken, half of bacon and onion mixture, light sprinkling of cheese, mushrooms, bacon & onion mixture, a little bit of salt & pepper to season the mushrooms, light sprinkling of cheese and lastly toss most of the potatoes on top, leaving about ⅓ of them to arrange nicely on top of everything else. Now mix the chicken stock & cream (or replace the cream with stock if you want to save on calories) and pour on top. Cover the baking dish with foil or lid.
- Place into preheated to 450F oven and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 40 minutes. Remove the foil or the lid and cook for additional 20-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Once out of the oven sprinkle with some cheese (it will melt from the potatoes being hot), chopped chives/green onion & parsley. Serve immediately.
Notes: this casserole can be prepped ahead of time by prepping and layering everything but the potatoes. When you’re ready to cook the dish, just peel, slice, layer the potatoes and put it in the oven and follow with the rest of the instructions.