Easy Apple Cake – Sharlotka (4 ingredients)
Sharlotka recipe is your easy, weekday apple cake that you can whip up at a moment’s notice with my easy 3 ingredient sponge cake and apples. The sponge cake has a beautiful sugary crust that contrasts the softness of the cake and juiciness of the apples wonderfully. Give it a try, you’ll love it!
If you love apples, you’ll also appreciate my favorite upside-down apple cake or this delicious coffee apple cake.
What is Sharlotka?
Sharlotka is a Russian apple cake made with only several ingredients (eggs, sugar, flour & apples) and is a popular cake that is widely made in Russia and Ukraine.
Easy Apple Cake
So, what makes this Russian apple cake so good and easy? It’s very simple to make – you whip eggs & sugar, fold in the flour, then layer it in a pan with apples, and bake. The flavor is incredible, and it comes together quickly!
The cake is sweet, soft, moist from the apples and the sugar crust on top is just perfection!
When I have almond slices, I make sure to sprinkle some on top of the cake, and it just takes the cake another level up! Give this Easy Apple Cake a try! I hope it becomes a favorite as it has been ours.
Apple Cake Ingredients
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe & ingredient amounts.
- Eggs – use regular large eggs. It’s best if they’re room temperature as it helps the eggs whip up better, but if you only have fridge cold eggs, that’s OK too.
- Flour – regular all-purpose flour is all you need.
- Sugar – white granulated sugar is added to the eggs as they’re whipped to
- Apples – use firm, tart apples for best flavor (Granny Smith, Jonagold, Honeycrisp, or Gala).
How to Make the Apple Cake (Overview)
- Preheat the oven to 350F with the baking rack centered. Line a round 9″x3″ baking pan with parchment.
- Whip eggs for a couple of minutes, then gradually add in the sugar. Keep whipping until the eggs are pale in color, fluffy, and a ribbon of the batter falling off the whisk doesn’t disappear for several seconds.
- Then, fold in the flour in thirds into the whipped eggs until no flour streaks are seen.
- Meanwhile, peel, core, and slice the apples. Finally, toss the apple slices with flour.
- Layer the batter & apple slices in the prepared baking pan in 3 layers, alternating batter & apples.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar and almond slices (if using).
- Bake until a toothpick or screwer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly, then run a thin knife on the inside of the baking pan and invert onto a cooling rack to cool.
Other Apple recipes you might like:
- Apple Butter Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Quick Apple Cake
- Apple Pie Bites
- Caramel Apple Pie Pancakes
- Apple and Dulce de Leche Pastries (with Puff Pastry)
- Apple & Pear tart
Apple Sharlotka Recipe (Russian Apple Cake)
Sharlotka is the easiest Russian apple cake that's made with layers of fluffy 3 ingredient sponge cake and apples. The sugar crust on top adds a pleasant crunch. And it's made with only 4 ingredients that you probably already have.
Sponge Cake Ingredients
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 medium or large apples, peeled, cored, sliced into 1/4" slices (such as - Gala, Granny Smith, etc.)
- 2 TBSP all-purpose flour
Optional (to sprinkle on top)
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
Whip eggs: Add 6 eggs to a large mixing bowl and whip on high for a minute or two. Then, gradually add 1 cup of granulated sugar between the bowl and the whisk as it continues to whip.
Now, whip until pale in color, fluffy, and a ribbon of batter flowing off the whisk doesn't disappear into itself for 2-3 seconds (stand mixer - ~20 minutes; if you use a double wired whisk (11 wires, instead of 6) it will take only ~7 minutes; hand mixer will take more than ~20 min).
While the eggs are whipping prep the rest of the recipe:
Preheat oven to 350F° with the baking rack centered.
Line a 9" round pan with parchment paper or butter the inside of the pan, then dust with flour and shake out excess. If you have a
baking strip, wet it and fasten around the pan. Set aside.
Prepare the apples: Peel, core, and slice the apples into 1/4" slices. Add 2 tbsp of flour and toss to coat. Set aside. Cutting the apples into slices rather than cubes means that they are less likely to sink to the bottom as the cake bakes.
Add dry ingredients: Once the eggs are properly whipped, sift 1 cup of flour in thirds right into the whipped eggs, carefully folding after each addition and trying not to deflate the batter as much as possible.
Layer inside the pan: now make 3 layers with the sponge cake & apples starting with the sponge cake batter and finishing with the apples.
Sprinkle the top: Lastly, sprinkle the 2-3 tbsp of sugar on top, then 1/2 almond slices, if using.
Bake: Place the filled baking pan on a bigger baking sheet (this will catch any accidental drips) and bake for ~60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Then, remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Now, run a thin knife along the inside edge of the pan and carefully invert the cake onto a cooling rack. Peel off the parchment paper. Leave to cool completely before slicing and serving.
The cake is best eaten the same day it is made. Store on the counter under a cake dome.
If you'd prefer to have more apples all throughout the cake, increase the number of apples from 3 to 5 and reduce the sponge cake amount by 1/3. The cake will be denser, and moister, but very delicious and filled with apples.
In other words:
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 5 apples (1 lb 10 oz)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp sugar for the top
- 1/2 cup almond slices (optional)
Thank you for following me on Instagram, Facebook & Pinterest!
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!