Grilled Eggplant in Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce Recipe
Grilled Eggplant in Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce – this simple eggplant recipe can be made with either stir-fried, grilled or roasted eggplants. Just cook the eggplant, then combine with garlic, sweet spicy chili sauce and herbs and you’ve got the best eggplant recipe out there.
Find more Eggplant Recipes HERE.
*PIN this recipe to your GRILLING board.*
Several years ago my aunt (thank you Irina!) brought this Eggplant Dish to a party and it was one of the most popular dishes at the table. Everyone was asking for this easy eggplant recipe, including me!
How to Reduce Calories in this Grilled Eggplant Recipe?
The original recipe given to me used eggplants browned in oil, in a regular skillet. I find that the eggplant absorbs a ton of oil if you do it this way and as a way to reduce the amount of oil absorbed I decided to toss the eggplants with oil and then grill them instead.
Grilling the eggplant significantly reduces the amount of oil used, plus gives the dish a hint of smokiness, making this the perfect grilled eggplant recipe for your summer BBQ and Picnic party.
This delicious appetizer or a side can be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated until you’re ready to eat. Or you can grill the eggplants along with other things you’re grilling, then toss the eggplant in a bowl with some parsley, garlic, Chili Sauce and serve.
What eggplant is best to use for this Eggplant Recipe?
There are several types of eggplants but the one you want to use in this recipe is either the Japanese (usually deeper purple color) or Chinese (usually lighter purple color) eggplant.
These two kinds have a good amount of ‘meat” on them and do not have the bitterness that is typical to the standard round eggplants. This makes these type of eggplants perfect for stir-fries and appetizers like the one I am sharing with you today.
And there you have it! Simple, delicious, so fitting for summer and all around amazing Grilled Eggplant Recipe! Enjoy!
Let me know in the comment section below what you think of this recipe. Have you had anything like this before?
Ingredients in this Easy Eggplant Recipe
- Use either Chinese or Japanese, skinny long eggplants as they do not have the same bitterness that standard globe eggplants do.
- While we could make the Hot Chili sauce, I think buying 15 ingredients just to use a teaspoon of each would not make as much sense as just buying one jar of already premade good quality Sweet Chili Sauce.
- I do not go crazy on the herbs in this recipe, but you can if you want to. Use between couple tablespoons for just garnish, to a full half cup of chopped parsley. I use about 1/4 cup as that seems to be the best amount for me.
How to Cook Eggplant (choose one of the ways below) –
- How To Make Grilled Eggplant –
- To grill: Toss the cut up eggplant with some oil (I do this in a ziplock bag), or use a spray bottle like this one to lightly spray the eggplants with oil. Then arrange them on a preheated to low heat grill. Make sure the grill is absolutely clean and well sprayed with nonstick spray, or wiped with an oiled paper towel to prevent the eggplant from sticking. Rotate each piece to promote even cooking.
- When the eggplant has good grill marks and is soft, but not mushy, add the Chinese eggplant pieces to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 30 minutes to an hour. This will allow it to finish cooking from the steam, while still retaining shape.
- How To Stir Fry Eggplant – Add oil to a hot wok, add the eggplants and cook over high heat tossing often until golden in color and cooked through.
- How to Roast Eggplant – for this recipe, you would toss the cut up pieces of eggplant with oil, then arrange on the parchment lined baking sheet and cook at 450F until soft and cooked through. Do not overcook or the eggplant will become mushy.
- How to Cook Eggplant in Skillet – add oil to the skillet and preheat to high heat. Add eggplants, not overcrowding the pan and cook until well browned on all sides in batches.
Assembling the Chinese Eggplant Recipe:
- To the bowl with the grilled eggplant add the rest of the ingredients and gently toss to coat evenly. Serve right away, or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Want More Eggplant Recipes? Check these out!
Grilled Eggplant in Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
Grilled Eggplant in Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce - this simple eggplant recipe can be made with either stir-fried, grilled or roasted eggplants. Just cook the eggplant, then combine with garlic, sweet spicy chili sauce and herbs and you've got the best eggplant recipe out there.
- 4 Chinese eggplants, stems removed, cut into 2 inch logs or chunks
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 tsp black ground pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
How to make Grilled Eggplant in Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
Preheat the grill until 400F and make sure the grates are thoroughly cleaned with the grill brush, then wiped with a wet paper towel. Right before adding the eggplant to the grill, spray the grates with nonstick spray (turn off the grill for a second while you do this).
Next, in a bowl or a gallon sized ziplock bag combine cut up eggplant and oil, then toss quickly to coat.
Add the Chinese eggplant to the grill and cook over low heat, with the lid covering the grill, for about 10 minutes. Turn each piece every couple of minutes to promote even cooking.
Remove to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Now add the Sweet Chili Sauce, chopped parsley, salt and pepper and gently toss everything to coat.
Refrigerate in a tightly sealed jar until ready to eat, up to 4-5 days.
Grilling or Roasting is the best way to cook the Chinese Eggplant as it does not require too much oil. If you would like to use a different way of cooking eggplant, read below.
- How To Stir Fry Eggplant - Add oil to a hot wok, add the eggplants and cook over high heat tossing often until golden in color and cooked through.
- How to Roast Eggplant - for this recipe, you would toss the cut up pieces of eggplant with oil, then arrange on the parchment lined baking sheet and cook at 450F until soft and cooked through. Do not overcook or the eggplant will become mushy.
- How to Cook Eggplant in Skillet - add oil to the skillet and preheat to high heat. Add eggplants, not overcrowding the pan and cook until well browned on all sides.
Thank you for following me on Instagram, Facebook & Pinterest!
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!
Updating an old recipe:
I’ll love to know if I can use this recipe by baking the eggplant in the oven? Would I have to make any changes?
I’m sure you could probably bake pieces of eggplant instead of grilling, but you would be missing out on the flavor that is added from the grill marks. This recipe is originally made by dredging the pieces of eggplant in flour, then frying in a pan with oil, so I’ve adapted it to be a little less calorie dense. But I’m sure you could adapt it further and bake the pieces of eggplants.
Hello Marina. I have enjoyed your recipes for few years and get good feedback from your unique recipes.
I’m wanting to try this grille eggplant recipe and wondered if you tried this with either dill or cilantro. What would you recommend?
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback!
Cilantro or parsley would make a great addition to this recipe. I’m not sure about dill though.
This salad is a jackpot!!! Made this for a Thanksgiving dinner party, it was such a hit. It’s so easy to make and the taste is just обалдеть!!! :))) Still in disbelief that I found such an amazing eggplant salad, I will make it many many many times more.
Sweet chili sauce is Yummy! Interesting combo! I just posted an eggplant recipe today, its a one-pot deal and very tasty you should try it out sometime if your looking to try out a good eggplant dish. Your eggplants look SO nice!
Thanks for sharing Alyona!