Air Fryer Steak
Air fryer steak makes perfectly seared on the outside, and tender on the inside steak with all the flavors of the traditional cooking methods, minus the mess and cleanup. Each bite is perfectly seasoned and incredibly juicy—just one taste and you’ll see why this is the way to make steak
Why You Should Make Steak in an Air Fryer
Steak in an air fryer may sound like it wouldn’t work because it’s a big piece of meat and it might be hard to get a sear on the steak, and we all know the combination of the seared outside and moist and juicy inside is what makes it as good as it is. Many examples online will tell you that this is impossible to achieve in the air fryer. Not with this recipe!
With a little workaround, we are still able to get the best of both worlds – the best flavor, sear and all, plus minimal cleanup. The air fryer contains all the mess within the small basket, so no grease splatter, just all the best flavors. Truly, the best way to cook a steak!
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is a small countertop appliance that uses high heat and rapidly circulating air in a small cooking compartment. This gives food a “fried” texture without the use of an oil like you would with deep-frying!
Minimal oil or grease also means that an air fryer is a healthier cooking method as opposed to deep-frying. If you haven’t tried one out, I highly recommend it. Start with steak in the air fryer and see the difference!
I know grills and pans get all the glory when it comes to beef, but once you try steak in an air fryer, you’ll never go back!
There’s Less Cleanup and Mess
A good steak is a bit fatty, and thus has a lot of oils and splatter as it cooks. When you make steak in an air fryer, the splatter and any other messes are all contained within the basket of the air fryer.
After you’re done cooking, just stick the air fryer basket in the dishwasher and call it a day.
Minimal Cooking Equipment Needed
There is also minimal cooking equipment needed with this method. The steak can both cook and rest within the air fryer cooking basket. You basically can add the steak in, let the air fryer do its magic, then come back to the best steak ever—all in one basket!
Perfectly Cooked Steak
Most importantly, steak in an air fryer tastes awesome. You’re still able to get a sear on the steak, so you’re not compromising on the flavor by using this quick and easy method.
Tips for Cooking Steak in an Air Fryer:
- Bring steaks to room temperature before starting. This will speed up the process of cooking steak in an air fryer and will make the heat penetrate the steak more evenly.
- Check the internal temp with a thermometer for perfectly cooked steak. The temperature will depend on your preferred doneness.
- Make the herb butter ahead of time to speed up the process, if using. It’s optional but totally recommended!
How to Make Herb Butter
Herb butter will add that wow factor that will take any steak to the next level. Super simple to make, yet so impressive on the flavor. Here’s how to make it:
- In a bowl combine softened butter, parsley, dill, pressed garlic, and red pepper flakes until thoroughly mixed.
- Scoop small mounds (about 1 tsp worth) with a teaspoon onto a plate lined with, spacing them evenly. Or roll into a log wrapped with plastic wrap, then slice and use.
- Freeze until ready to use.
How to Make Air Fryer Steak – Recipe at a Glance
For detailed recipe instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Ready to learn how to make this air fryer steak? You won’t believe how simple it is!
Air Fryer Steak ingredients
- Steak – use your favorite steak type, about 1 1/2″ – 2″ inches thick.
- Mayo or oil – any kind of neutral-flavored oil will work, or mayonnaise.
- Steak seasoning – I use Montreal steak seasoning, but any steak seasoning is ok.
- Smoked Paprika – helps with browning and flavor.
Step by Step Directions
- Bring steaks to room temperature.
- Season one side of the steak.
- Prepare the air fryer by adding the rack to elevate the steaks. Place the steaks seasoned side down on the rack.
- Repeat the/oil, smoked paprika, and steak seasoning on the other side.
How Long to Cook Steak in the Air Fryer
- Cook at 400F flipping halfway through, then continue cooking until the desired doneness.
For rare (pink) it will take about 11 minutes for two 10 oz steaks.
For medium (some pink – 140F internal temp) it will take about 15 minutes if cooking two 10 oz steaks.
- Transfer the steak to a serving plate, top with a slice of herb butter, and let it rest for about the same amount of time as the steak has been cooking.
FAQs About Air Fryer Steak
Can I cook steak from frozen?
Steak is not a cheap cut of meat, so I would advise against cooking it from frozen since you run the risk of ruining your dinner. Even cooking is important for the best flavor and texture and cooking it from frozen threatens to leave you with a dry outside, and still cold center
How to quickly defrost steak?
The quickest way to defrost a steak would be to microwave it in 30-second increments, flipping the steak after every 30 seconds, and removing it as soon as it comes to room temperature.
Can I use a different type of steak?
Any type of steak will work with this recipe, as long as you gauge the cooking time by using an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the steak.
Steak doneness temperatures
|Rare||Bring red center, slightly pink towards outside||125F|
|Medium Rare||Very pink center, slightly brown towards outside||135F|
|Medium||Light pink center, brown outer layer||145F|
|Medium well||Slightly pink, brown outer layer||155F|
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe with precise ingredient amounts.
More Air Fryer Recipes:
- 10-Minute Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Air Fryer Pork Chops Recipe
- Breakfast Potatoes in the Air Fryer
Air Fryer Steak Recipe
Air fryer steak makes the juiciest, most flavorful meat ever! Perfect sear, beautifully seasoned, the works!
Herb Butter Ingredients
New York Strip Steak Ingredients
How to make Herb Butter
Combine the butter, chopped herbs, pressed garlic, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl until thoroughly mixed.
Place in the center of a plastic wrap and roll into a log, then twist the ends. Freeze until needed.
How to Make Easy New York Strip Steak
Meanwhile, bring steaks to room temperature by leaving them out for about 30 minutes ot 1 hour.
Add a rack inside the air fryer basket to bring the steaks closer to the heating element. You can add the steaks on top of the rack to check and make sure that the steak will still be about 2 inches away from the heating element when the basket slides inside. Don't forget to remove the steaks as you turn it on to preheat.
Preheat the air fryer to 400F as you work on the steaks, this is an optinal step.
Season 1st side: Spread a thin layer of mayo or oil to one side of the steaks. Sprinkle half the paprika seasoning on one side of the steak and spread it around with a spatula. Then, sprinkle with half the steak seasoning and also press it in with the spatula.
Season 2nd side: Add the steaks to the air fryer, the side towards the outside, on top of the racks, seasoned side down. Repeat step 3 above to season the top side of the steak.
Cook the steak: Slide the air fryer basket into the air fryer and cook until the desired doneness, flipping halfway through. Check with an internal thermometer to ensure the desired doneness.
For medium, cook for about 15 minutes. flipping halfway through. If cooking only one steak instead of two at a time, the cooking time might be a couple minutes less.
Rest the steak: transfer to a serving plate and top with a sliced of herb butter. Cover with foil and rest for the same amount of time as it was cooked. Slice and enjoy! (Note 1)
See the post for FAQ and more useful information.
Note1: To make it a meal, make some air fryer asparagus while the steak is resting.
Use about 6 medium asparagus spears per serving.
- Remove the rack we used to raise the steak out of the air fryer basket.
- Trim the woodsy ends off the asparagus and add the trimmed asparagus spears to the air fryer. Sprinkle with salt and shake the basket to season evenly.
- Air fry the asparagus at 400F, shaking the air fryer basket about every 2-3 minutes until the asparagus is still green and slightly crispy, but cooked through (about 5 minutes total).