Pretzel Dog Recipe
Pretzel Dog is a combination of chewy pretzel and a juicy sausage, which makes a delicious lunch or an appetizer for kids and adults alike! Serve them with some spicy mustard for that perfect game day snack!
Pretzel dogs and I go way, way back. When working my first job as a cashier at a local mall, getting myself a pretzel dog for lunch was the highlight of my day. The dough was slightly chewy, the sausage was nice and juicy, the two made the perfect pair.
Making it at home might seem like a chore, but it really is not complicated. Once you realize just how easy it is you just might spoil yourself or your kids with this fun appetizer or lunch more often than you should 😉
For this recipe, I used Alton Brown’s Soft Pretzels recipe which was perfect! The dough process isn’t too elaborate and the combination with the hot dog was just what I wanted.
Pretzel Dog vs. Pigs in a Blanket
The steps to making both the pretzel dog and a pig in a blanket are one and the same. Except for the baking soda bath that the pretzel dogs have to go through before being baked. If you’re not feeling like going through the trouble though, just omit it and you’ll still get beautiful and delicious pigs in a blanket.
The number of ingredients below will make for a large batch. Feel free to either halve the recipe or freeze the baked and cooled Pretzel Dogs. To reheat, just pop the Pretzel Dogs or Pretzels in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 350F and they’ll taste just like fresh.
What kind of Sausage to use in Pretzel Dogs?
You’re the boss, so choose your favorite hot dog sausage. I use Costco’s Kirkland Brand Dinner Franks or Polish Sausage, both are good choices.
How to make a Pretzel Dog?
The easiest way to make the Pretzel Dog dough is to use the dough cycle of the bread maker. If you do not have a bread maker, do not fret, you can either mix the dough by hand or use a mixer.
Once the bread machine has done its job, the dough is split the dough into balls. Then roll the balls into ropes and wrap them around your favorite hot dog sausage.
Dipping the pretzel dogs into a baking soda bath before baking is what gives them that signature taste!
After that, it’s just one trip to the oven, and voila!
Pretzel Dog is a combination of chewy pretzel dough sprinkled with coarse salt and a juicy sausage, which makes a delicious lunch or an appetizer for kids and adults alike!
- 15-20 Sausages franks
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 Tbsp water
- 2-3 Tbsp Coarse kosher salt or Pretzel Salt
- If using bread maker combine warm water, sugar, salt, yeast, flour & unsalted butter and set for the dough cycle. Once the cycle is complete, move on to step 6.
- If using a stand mixer, combine warm water, sugar, salt & yeast. Stir and allow it to sit for 4-5 minutes.
Once the mixture has risen slightly, add flour to the bowl of the mixer, the yeast slurry, and the melted butter. Using the dough attachment/hook knead on low speed just until the dough comes together.
Increase the speed to medium and knead until dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl (about 4-5 minutes).
- Remove the dough from the bowl, spray it with non-stick spray, then return the dough back into the bowl and cover with a tea towel. Let rise for 1 hour in a draft-free, warm place (you can place it in the oven with the light on. Do not turn the oven on at all), or until doubled in size.
Next, preheat oven to 450F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and brush with oil. Set aside.
Make the baking soda bath
Bring 10 cups of water and baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.
Shape and Bake the Pretzel Dogs
Turn the dough out onto an oiled work surface and divide it into golf ball size pieces.
HOW TO MAKE PRETZEL DOGS:
Roll each dough ball into a rope and wrap it around the full length of the sausage, pinching the ends onto themselves to prevent them unwrapping.
TO MAKE PRETZELS:
Shape the dough into a 24-inch rope, then holding the ends of the rope cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel.
- One by one place the place the pretzel dogs into the boiling soda water for 30 seconds. Using a large slotted spoon or spatula remove them from the water and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush on with beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with salt.
Place in oven and bake at 450F until golden brown in color, about 12-14 minutes.