Meatballs in Jalapeno Cream Sauce
My dad really enjoys spending time in the kitchen. He’s even catered a couple of church events in the past couple of months. In December as a part of our graduation celebration he made meatballs and potatoes that people still keep asking about, and for some reason instead of asking him, they ask me. So here’s the recipe for all of those that have been asking for it.
Even though I know how he makes the meatballs, I still called him and confirmed the recipe. In mine though, I decided to put a little twist and make the Meatballs and Pasta with a little surprise. I had a couple of boxes (100 gr. each) of goat cheese that I didn’t know what to do with, so I stuffed each meatball with about half a teaspoon of the cheese and and let me tell you, it-was-divine! The cheese melted into this creamy custard when cooked, so when you cut into the meatball, lava of creamy sauce would seep out. Also I made the sauce with some jalapenos for some kick.
Later that evening, I invited my parents over, just to get the seal of approval and they agreed, that my meatballs were spot on!
Meatballs & Pasta in Jalapeno Cream Sauce
Meatballs and Pasta in Jalapeno Cream Sauce - each meatballs is stuffed with creamy goat cheese and the sauce is made with jalapenos for some kick. Pair the meatballs with some pasta, potatoes or even rice and you've got one hearty meal!
- 100 grams goat cheese
- 1 cup all purpose flour
To Brown the Meatballs
- 5-6 tbsp olive oil
To make meatballs:
- With a food processor pulse the bread crumbs until fine.
- In a bowl of a mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, combine ground pork/ground chicken thighs, bread crumbs, eggs, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, crushed black pepper and salt. Mix to combine.
Set up your working station, to shape the meatballs. Do this right next to the sink with hot running water, or with a bowl filled with hot water. Have a round bowl with the 1 cup flour ready.
- Wet your hands with hot water. Take about 1-2 tablespoons (depending how big you want them) of the meat mixture flat it out in the palm of your hand, place ½ teaspoon of the goat cheese in the middle, close your palm with the meat to form a meatball. Gently roll the meatball between the palms of your hand to make it round.
- Drop the meatball in the flour and dredge. Shake off excess. Place onto a large dish. Continue with the rest of the meatballs.
To Brown Meatballs:
- Heat a skillet with 5-6 tablespoons oil on medium high heat, until almost smoky. Quickly place the meatballs into the pan, trying not to overcrowd (to retain heat better). Brown the meatballs on all sides, covering with a lid in between turns. Remove to a dish.
Browning in the Oven
- Turn oven to 425F. Place meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brown for 20 minutes or until golden in color, turning each meatball halfway through.
To make Sauce:
- In a different skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons oil, add diced onion and sauté until light golden in color. Add the carrots & jalapenos. Sauté for 3-4 minutes more. Remove any excess oil with a spoon and discard. Add the milk and cream to the sautéed vegetables. Add salt & pepper. Simmer on low heat to reduce, about 5 minutes.
- Add the browned meatballs and simmer together for another 5 minutes (this reduces the cream and thickens it).
To make pasta:
- Boil pasta in hot salted water al dante. Drain the water (do not add butter).
Notes To serve: Place desired amount of pasta in the middle of a bowl, place 2-3 meatballs per serving on top of pasta and top with the sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley. Print
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!