Homemade Hamburger Bun Recipe
These Homemade Hamburger Buns are exactly what’s been missing from your perfect, finger licking, juice dripping burgers. These hamburger buns are soft, buttery, and so flavorful you might never go back to store bought.
Why Homemade Buns?
Let’s be honest, ANYONE can make a hamburger, plop it on a plate, throw on some toppings and call it dinner.
But the hamburgers that make us drool are those that have the whole package: homemade patty, scrumptious sauce, veggies of choice and buttery, soft, delicious buns just like the buns in this recipe.
So why make homemade buns? Because your burgers deserve them. Because YOU and the people you love and feed deserve them.
So go ahead. Make these buns, find that can of pickles, buy or make your hamburger patty, slice your veggies, prepare your condiments or sauce, and be ready to devour.
Homemade Hamburger Bun Recipe
Ingredients for the Hamburger Bun Recipe:
- Active dry yeast
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Egg for egg wash
- Sesame seeds
How to make Homemade Hamburger Buns:
- Make sure that your yeast is still active.
- Combine warm milk, yeast, sugar and stir everything until sugar is dissolved. Let sit at room temp for about 5 minutes. The mixture should rise and double in size. If not, discard the yeast and buy a new pack of yeast.
- Combine puffed up yeast mixture with the rest of ingredients and knead until fully combined.
- Allow rising in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size. Cover with a kitchen towel.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, keep splitting pieces in half until you get 18-24 pieces, depending on how big you want your hamburger buns to be.
Shape and Bake Burger Buns
- Shape each piece into a ball by tucking the ends underneath until the top surface is round.
- Press the tops to make burger buns flat.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet about 2-3 inches apart.
- Cover the dough balls with a kitchen towel and allow to double in size.
- Whisk the egg with a fork and brush each risen bun with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- If desired, make a criss-cross incision on top of your buns. Use a sharp serrated knife slash on top of the bun about ⅓ inches deep.
- Make another incision parallel to the first one, making a cross.
- Bake in preheated to 370F oven until golden brown, approximately 15- 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Storing these Homemade Hamburger Buns
Once the Hamburger Buns are completely cooled, pre-cut each bun horizontally along the middle and place in a plastic bag until ready to use.
Can I freeze Burger Buns?
Yes, if you have extra, just freeze in a Ziploc bag. Then, microwave each bun for about 15-20 seconds to thaw.
Homemade Hamburger Buns
Hamburger Bun Ingredients
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds to sprinkle on top
How to make Hamburger Buns
This step will ensure that the yeast is active:
Combine 1/3 cup of warm milk, yeast, 1 tbsp sugar and stir until dissolved. Let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes. The mixture should rise and double or triple in size. If it does not, discard the yeast and the mixture, get a new pack of yeast and try again.
Combine puffed up yeast mixture and the rest of the ingredients in the bowl of a mixer and knead until it no longer sticks to the walls of the bowl, about 15 minutes. Allow rising in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size covered with a clean kitchen towel.
How to make the dough in the Bread Maker Machine
Put all ingredients into the bread maker starting with liquid and finishing with the dry ingredients. Turn to the dough cycle, it should be kneaded and allowed to rise during the cycle.
Shape and Bake the Hamburger Buns
Once the dough has doubled in size, divide into 18-24 pieces, depending on how big you would like the buns to be.
Shape each piece into a ball, tucking the ends underneath until the top surface is round. Then, press the tops to make them flatter. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet about 2-3 inches apart.
Cover the dough patties with a clean kitchen or a paper towel and allow to double in size, about 30-40 minutes.
Whisk the egg with a fork and brush each risen bun with the egg wash. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
Optional: Using a sharp serrated knife, slash on top of the bun about ⅓ inches deep. Make another incision perpendicular to the first one, making a cross.
- Bake in preheated to 370F oven until golden brown, approximately 15- 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
How to store the Hamburger Buns
- Pre-cut each bun horizontally along the middle and place in a plastic bag until ready to use. If not using right away, freeze in a ziplock bag. Microwave each bun for about 15-20 seconds to thaw.
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!